This week we recommend this delicious Onion Soup from health.com
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large thinly sliced Spanish onions
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4–8 (3/4-inch) slices French baguette
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°. Heat butter and olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt. Cover; cook 5 minutes. Uncover; add sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, 25 minutes or until onions are golden. Add flour, and reduce heat to medium-low; cook 1–2 minutes. Add sherry, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1–2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Transfer to a saucepan. Add stock and pepper. Boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add soy sauce.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet; bake 7 minutes per side or until golden.
- Heat broiler. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top with 1–2 bread slices and 2 slices Gruyère. Broil 1–2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.